The legendary Miss Britney Spears is arguably The Top Dominatrix Goddess of pop music! She saved a dying genre and changed the music industry forever! Queen of controversy and center of conspiracies, Britney has been (and continues to be) battling against not only the media but her own record label making attempts to control and silence her power. Britney preaches the gospel of embracing one’s own sensual freedom that the world tells us to be ashamed of. Hardcore fans really do see “Godney” as a goddess, as channeling her energy brings magical empowerment.
Throughout her legacy, Britney has still managed to humble herself: staying true to her sweet and silly side, never taking herself too seriously (unlike most pop princesses.) Her bubbly persona is balanced with a dark side that she learned to lean on further into her career. With all the mistakes she’s made in life that have been publicly documented for the world to see, she never fails to rise above the drama. If you can look past the media’s manipulative overexposure, you are left with raw passion that even the shyest of us can embrace — because we are meant to live life to the fullest. Let her guide you into losing control and allowing the rhythm of your heartbeat to take over!
I’ve composed a list of 75 Britney Spears songs, ranked from worst to best. Of course I can’t include all her songs — only those that stand out to me, for better or worse.
You don’t have to be a child going trick-or-treating in order to celebrate Halloween. You don’t have to dress up and you don’t even have to go out. It’s annoying to feel the pressure of participating in these modern rituals such as getting a costume, decorating, trick-or-treating, going out to a party or bar hopping, etc. And sometimes you just don’t have the time or money to engage in the holiday.
Below, is a list of simple and non-conforming ways to celebrate Halloween. If you are sick of all the pumpkins, scary movie marathons, haunted houses, and all that other cliché stuff, then this list is for you. Each one is very basic and easy to do.
Add garlic to your dinner – keep the vampires away.
Watch a scary film – not your typical horror movie, but about something that scares you personally (like a documentary about insects.)
Play a prank on someone and then “blame it on the fairies.” This is a real, ancient Halloween tradition.
The night before Halloween, give someone you dislike a cabbage stump. This is a real, old Scottish tradition.
Rub chalk on someone’s back and yell “Halloween!” This is a real, old Canadian tradition.
Eat a kale salad or make kale chips — kale is connected to many ancient Halloween traditions.
Get a tarot reading done, or simply look up your horoscope. The veil is at its thinnest!
Make pancakes — an Irish tradition on All Souls’ Day. (Bonus points if you make them from scratch.)
Pause and take a moment to think about your loved ones who have passed, and feel grateful for knowing them.
Leave a plate of food out at night for the dead. (Another old tradition.)
Lana Del Rey has A NEW ALBUM coming for us on August 30! I decided to do a thorough investigation into Lana Del Rey’s top 25 darkest & saddest songs. Keep in mind that this has nothing to do with my personal favorites — that would be really tricky, but I may do it another time. This is a bit more fact than opinion. We are looking for 50% dark and 50% sad. LDR specializes in darkness/sadness because she is not afraid of the controversy/public shaming that comes with romanticizing masochistic tendencies — in fact she is “the starving artist” who recognizes that great art comes from great pain. (Even her “happiest” songs have a melancholy tone.) Let’s begin…
25. In My Feelings (Album: Lust for Life)
“If you were me, and I was you, I’d get out of my way.”
Dark, but a lot more ‘anger’ than ‘sadness.’
24. 24 (Album: Honeymoon)
“There’s only 24 hours in a day, and half you lay awake with thoughts of murder and carnage.”
This is very dark, but just not sad enough. Very sassy, actually.
23. Blue Jeans (Album: Born to Die)
“And I know that love is mean and love hurts.”
Kind of sad and kind of dark. Man would rather go out and make money than be in love.
22. Without You (Born to Die)
“I can be your China doll if you’d like to see me fall.”
Blessed with fame and fortune — but that means absolutely nothing without love.
21. Million Dollar Man (Born to Die)
“You said I was the most exotic flower.”
This is just hopeless heartbreak.
20. Ride (Album: Paradise EP)
“Been trying hard not to get into trouble but I’ve got a war in my mind.”
Feeling out of control, needing to rely on others just to survive.
19. This Is What Makes Us Girls (Born to Die)
“She starts to cry, mascara running down her little Bambi eyes, ‘Lana, how I hate those guys.'”
Very interesting song, probably only relatable if you are a girl. It’s a spotlight on female friendship: how someone can mean so much to you and you can have so much fun together, until boy-drama gets in the way and rips it apart. It’s sad because ladies need to stick together and support one another, but jealousy can ruin it all. The bond is eternal and never forgotten about, though.
18. Pretty When You Cry (Album: Ultraviolence)
“I’m stronger than all my men… except for you.”
This is the best song to cry to, if you want to feel glamorous through all the pain. It’s almost kind of funny.
17. The Blackest Day (Honeymoon)
“Got my blue nail polish on, it’s my favoritecolor and my favorite tone of song.”
Quite sad, quite dark.
16. Is This Happiness? (Ultraviolence)
“Taking violet pills, writing all my songs about my cheap thrills.”
15. Tomorrow Never Came (Lust For Life)
“I waited for you.”
Having so much hope, and then getting let down.
14. Terrence Loves You (Honeymoon)
“But I still got jazz when I’ve got those blues.”
Really, really missing someone who you lost. And feeling absolutely empty because of it. But you can get through it with sad music and substance abuse.
13. 13 Beaches (Lust For Life)
“I’d be lying if I kept hiding the fact that I can’t deal, and that I’ve been dying for something real.”
I think it’s about being fed up with the world and trying to find some peace and quiet, so you can sit back and fully feel your sadness.
12. Body Electric (Paradise)
“Elvis is my daddy, Marilyn’s my mother, Jesus is my bestest friend.”
Loneliness… and cleverness. Inspired by Walt Whitman’s “I Sing the Body Electric” poem.
11. Shades of Cool (Ultraviolence)
“My baby lives in shades of cool: blue heart, and hands, and aptitude.“
10. Born To Die (Born To Die)
“The road is long, we carry on, try to have fun in the meantime.”
Life is short. We are missing out by rushing to our deathbeds.
9. Carmen (Born To Die)
“Darling, darling doesn’t have a problem lying to herself cause her liquor’s top shelf.”
Dangerously sick and depressed alcoholic woman who has the world convinced she is happy, healthy, and having fun.
8. Sad Girl (Ultraviolence)
“He’s got the fire and he walks with fame, he’s got the fire and he talks with fame.”
The verses are so confident on the surface and then the chorus is so vulnerable and raw. She makes it seem like she is the one in control, but she is powerless.
7. Summertime Sadness (Born To Die)
“Think I’ll miss you forever, like the stars miss the sun in the morning sky.”
Impossible to listen to this song without crying! It’s simply about missing someone and waiting for them to come back even though they never will. The way the song is composed, the whole melody and such, paints a dark energy over heartbreaking lyrics.
4. Ultraviolence (Ultraviolence)
“Cause I’m your jazz singer, and you’re my cult leader.”
Darker than ultraviolet radiation.
3. Heroin (Lust For Life)
“But the facts of life can sometimes make it hard to dream.”
It gets darker and sadder the more you listen to it.
2. Black Beauty (Ultraviolence)
“Oh, what can I do? Life is beautiful, but you don’t have a clue.“
When you fall in love with someone who is depressed and you get sucked into their black hole of sadness. Unable to see the beauty of life — that’s sad. Painting the house black — that’s dark.
1. Dark Paradise (Born To Die)
“Your soul is haunting me and telling me that everything is fine, but I wish I was dead.”
This song is the ultimate mix of darkness and sadness. If there was an official Venn diagram for darkness vs. sadness, this song would be smack in the middle. Dark Paradise is when death seems more tranquil than life.
1. Be grateful — be grateful for people who are kind and caring because that is very rare in life. I have wasted a lot of energy on negative situations when I could have been using that energy to focus on the people who make me happy.
2. Let go of expectations — friendships should not come with contracts or rules you have to follow. Also everyone is unique and we all have different ideas about how to show someone you care.
3. Let go when you know you should — if someone continues to hurt you, there is no need for confrontation or revenge. Sometimes you really do need to sit down with someone and have an honest conversation, if necessary. But if it’s a continuous thing then don’t waste energy on them anymore. They are not going to change, if they really do then it’s something they need to do on their own. Dont take someone else’s inner issues into your own hands. Let them do their own inner work.
4. Time will tell — friends come and go. Some friendships can be so exciting, uplifting, and authentic– yet remain short-lived. Or sometimes you quit being friends with someone for years and you somehow fall back together and refresh your friendship. People flow in and out, it’s normal for people to fight or misunderstand each other. Friends may become enemies, or enemies may become friends. You don’t really know for sure what your timeline is with anybody until you look back one day.
5. Anyone can be your friend — friends don’t have to be exactly the same. You can be total opposites and come from different backgrounds and still get along. You can have different ideas and beliefs about life, but still find a common ground. It’s about being able to put those differences aside for the sake of feeling connected to one another and realizing we are all more similar than we seem.