What does “lotus” mean?
The lotus is a lily pad flower that carries great spiritual significance, since the dawn of time.
- In ancient Egypt, it was a symbol of creation and rebirth. The lotus was consumed in religious ceremonies to connect with deities, as well as social gatherings to promote a joyous and peaceful mindset. Goddess Isis is strongly connected to the lotus.
- In ancient Greece, the lotus was a symbol of innocence, modesty, and purity. Greek mythology tells the tale of the “lotus-eaters,” native islanders who offered Odysseus’s men intoxicating lotus fruit that brought on a state of forgetfulness.
- In Hinduism, the lotus represents enlightenment. Lord Brahma, the creator god, is born from a lotus. And it is also connected to many other Hindu deities.
- In Christianity, the lotus relates to holiness, divinity, and fertility. It is associated with Mary.
What is so fascinating about the lotus, is that it grows in the muddy and murky waters, then rises above and opens up with beauty and grace. This can be compared to how much internal progress we make through the hardships, with the capacity to transform ugliness into loveliness.
When you think of “purity,” you imagine absolute perfection — no flaws, no mistakes, no darkness. Yet the lotus teaches us to reexamine what it means to be “holy.” Life itself is polarity: you cannot be the light until you have travelled through the dark, you cannot reach perfection until you have immersed yourself with imperfection.
With every piece of writing, my intention is to emphasize the sacred wisdom of the lotus. Alongside, I strive to communicate to my readers that there is hope. Do not run from your wildness, but embrace it. Accepting your chaos is how you find your peace. You can always rise above your past, when you realize how much strength and knowledge it has given you. The end is only the beginning.
Lotus Laura is based on mythological connections to the planet, with each day representing a specific energy. I post daily, unless stated otherwise!
- Sunday (Sun) ~ Self-care ~ Putting yourself first, in a selfless way, through health and psychology.
- Monday (Moon) ~ Media & mystery ~ Stories that encourage you to dig deep into your emotions.
- Tuesday (Mars) ~ Try-it & tea ~ Taking action to try new things, or venting hard over a cup of tea.
- Wednesday (Mercury) ~ Wish ~ Communicating your desires and fantasies with universe.
- Thursday (Jupiter) ~ Throwback ~ Look back to see how much you have grown.
- Friday (Venus) ~ Flow ~ Connecting with the flow & sacred religious texts.
- Saturday (Saturn) ~ Caturday ~ Taking care of your cats & other little responsibilities.
Also ~ Blogger awards, blog updates, personal updates, & meaty research posts!
**Currently accepting guest-writers and sponsorships!**