If you have been wanting to dye your hair an unnatural color (aka add a little rainbow to your hair) then there are a few things you might want to know beforehand.
Choosing your color(s)…
- It’s best to start with one or two colors.
- Pick your favorite color, a color you would be happy to see every day.
- If you really can’t decide, think of something that goes with your eyes or your wardrobe.
- Start with a bright color. Pastels are pretty, but very hard to do. I first tried doing my hair pastel pink but it was so light that it didn’t show.
The dying process…
- Bleach your hair beforehand, making it as light as possible. It will not really show with anything darker than brown hair.
- It’s fun and easy to dye it all by yourself. It’s also a lot cheaper. Or you can always have a friend come and help you with it.
- If you are really concerned about making it look perfect then go to a professional.
Keeping it up…
- Most of the color will typically wash out after six weeks. It also could fade significantly after just two weeks.
- To make it last, avoid washing your hair or even getting it wet. You can either shower less frequently, take baths instead, or use a shower cap. When washing, use cold or lukewarm water. Also, you can find shampoos and conditioners that specialize in keeping color strong.
- Hair dying is a damaging process, so keep it healthy. Wait at least six weeks in between dying jobs. Try to go for longer breaks here and there. Use natural oils and hair masks to keep it moisturized. Brush hair frequently. Trim ends about every six weeks or so.
- Everyone will have a different reaction, some will really love it and some will probably hate it. Out in public, people might stare. Children will stare at you shamelessly. It’s okay, just keep doing your thing.